Wednesday, June 12, 2013

What I Have Learned In History Class

History is not all that useful to the average highschooler. Nonetheless, you can learn a lot about people based on their views on history. My history teacher, for example, professes to believe that history is useful only to historians and history teachers. But in reality, its so much more. Think about it. History is more than boring facts that you memorize for a test. History is, well, history. Its the past. Without the past, there is no present. People made choices throughout history that directly affect our lives today. And I think that is magical.

Worksheets are to be taken seriously. Or so the teacher told us on the first day of class. And I wholeheartedly agree. We just take different aspects of worksheets seriously. My friends and I enjoy messing with the worksheets that we know our teacher doesn't really read. Once, we wrote aardvark every other word, I still got a 100%. After that, it was writing in haikus:

Politicians met.
General George Washington
Directed meetings.

Soon thereafter, it was rhyme. Then we gave up and just wrote stories or lyrics to whatever song readily came to mind. If I recall correctly, someone wrote about her love of chocolate, another just scribbled in a vague impression of notes, still others elongated words with extra vowels (preeeeeeesiiiiident). 100%, 100%, 100%. It was getting too easy.

It became a game. We wrote in different colors and doodled along every spare inch of the paper. This prompted our teacher to begin coloring in our drawings. Occasionally, someone would write "How are you today?" or "I like this pen." And the teacher replied. Every time. "I am just fine, how are you?" and "What's not to like?" So he must be reading them, right?

Right?

No comments:

Post a Comment